Wednesday, September 04, 2002


A friend of mine from La Salle told me that someone was badmouthing us on the internet, through a blog. I went to the link and found an entry that, well, it really made me think.

Ye all know that the dulcets and I aced the Instud exams (with FLYING colors, said Den-den) last... uh, I don't remember. Well, this person who calls herself a "Sweet Little Angel" (ummm, yeah) has written a whole entry about me and my dulcets, testifying that we are selfish little b*tches and that we act so high-and-mighty about our 4.0.

Maite has said that we oughtn't reply, for reasons, well, obvious enough. Iji seconds the motion. But since "Angel" went to MY blog for reference, well, then I should write down my reasons for walking. One entry, guys, to explain and discuss that day exactly the way the dulcets saw it, to our meeting the morning after.

Let me take you back to that day.

Arrived at Miguel but saw no people. Met Karl under the Miguel clock and asked where the boys were, he said they hadn't arrived yet. Went inside Z2 and found Iji with Jenny and Mica. Still no Maite.

Liea arrived and told us to go to the Velasco building, where a room had been set up. By that time there were already a lot of people. Met Maite along the path with the circle chairs outside Miguel's other door. Went to Velasco.

We climbed up and found ourselves an empty room. Then I had the idea to go up to the fourth floor and witness Voltage's "Ikaapat na Palapag" for myself. The dulcets went along, and Carlos followed us.

I asked Maite about the exam papers.

"'Di ba tayo ang kukuha nung exam?" I asked. (Aren't we supposed to go fetch the exams?)

"Oo," said Maite (Yeah). "The block pres is supposed to be getting them."

"What's Liea doing?"

"Sitting."

"Oh," I said. "Hey, I know that exam's really hard. If we keep stalling like this I know we won't have enough time to hit it right. Shouldn't we go get the stuff?"

"Liea's gonna take care of it daw," said Maite.

"But Liea's not doing anything," Iji said.

I shrugged. "Look, let's just go get it, okay?"

We went down and off to William Hall we trotted. We went to Miss Nikki's office in the seventh floor and asked for the papers. She said they were still being photocopied by the secretary.

We waited there. Miss Nikki went to the library. The secretary arrived and we helped her staple the exams together. Then we took the whole lot along with a sheaf of yellow pad with strict instructions: "The fourth page is still at the photocopiers, and only one sheet of yellow paper per person."

We went back to Velasco and gave away the test papers and repeated the instructions. Maite had to hit the blackboard twice in order to be heard above the din. "GUYS! Wala pa yung fourth page (There's no fourth page yet). It's going to be brought here but we don't know when. Okay? As for the yellow pad, one sheet per person."

The class was NOT listening. Maite repeated what she said.

The class was still not listening. They were asking "hey, where's the fourth page?". Maite's face was deadly deceiving. I knew that look. When Maite gets pissed, a lot of people don't know it's happening. She repeated what she said. Again.

While we were going down William Hall, we already talked about leaving the block. We discussed it further as we went up Velasco Building. Now Maite was definitely annoyed, and I told Iji in a low voice that "we ought to get Maite out here. Let's get all of us outta here".

We left. Some people turned and asked us where we were going.

"Somewhere!" said Maite.

Nico asked me where we were going.

I opened the door and put on my apologetic face. "Starbucks. We're really hungry."

The door closed, and off we went.

We went to the Malate office, opened the windows and turned on the radio to listen to Magic 89.9's "All Request Saturday". We laid out our handouts and the test.

"Hey," I said. "Aren't we in charge of Islamic Resurgence?"

"Yeah," Iji replied.

"... There's no Islamic Resurgence here," I stated, flipping the pages of the testpaper.

"Yeah?" Iji repeated.

"Yeah. Look it over."

They looked. Maite shrugged. "That settles it, then. It doesn't have our assigned topic. We're off the hook."

"Can't expect us to work for something we didn't study for," I chirped in a singsong voice. We assigned ourselves to work. The test was divided according to the readings. Maite got North-South gap. Iji took Development and International Development. I went to kill Green Politics and Feminist Thought.

We hadn't even gone headway when our cellphones began to collectively sound off.

"What the--?"

Maite's phone went off first. It was a blockmate, K-ann. Maite muttered a few choice words and hung up.

Iji and I stared at her.

"Bakit daw? Ano kailangan nila?" (Why, what did they want?) asked Iji.

"The fourth page is missing," Maite said.

"Duh," I replied. "Shouldn't they already know that?"

"Apparently not," Maite answered as she picked up her phone. It had begun ringing again. "K-ann," she said, to inform us of who the caller was.

Maite, again, muttered the words "IT'S COMING" into her phone. Then she hung up.

My phone rang.

"Hey. It's Sam," I said.

Iji looked at me. I waited for the phone to stop sounding. It didn't. I handed the phone to Maite. Who again, repeated what she told K-ann.

K-ann called Maite again.

Maite got exasperated. "I'm going over there," she muttered grimly.

"Hey, don't!" I said. "Let 'em figure it out. Didn't you tell 'em already--"

"THRICE," Maite said. "Anyway. I don't think they heard. I'll be back."

"Do you want me to go with you?" I asked.

"You don't need to," Maite replied. Already she was going down the stairs.

When Maite left, we went back to answering. "Iris" played on 89.9. Then "I'll Be" played on 89.9. Then "Iris"' acoustic version played. Then commercials.

Maite still wasn't back. It had been roughly fifteen minutes.

"I'm worried about Maite," I told Iji. "She didn't bring her phone. We can't contact her."

"She should've brought her phone," Iji agreed.

"I think I'll go follow her," I said.

I picked up my phone and secured the handouts under a book. "I'll be back with Maite," I told Iji. She nodded.

On my way to Velasco, along SJ walk, I received text from Miss Nikki that said that the fourth page had arrived. I went to William Hall and got three sheets of the page from Miss Nikki. Then I went back down in search of my friend.

Along Miguel I spotted Maite, wearing a harassed look.

"Hey, hey, I've got the fourth page. How are they?" I asked.

"They are so...!" Maite cried. She went on to relate what happened to her.

She arrived and was interrogated by the block. She told them that she ALREADY told them about the fourth page.

Liea had apparently turned to her and said, "You didn't tell us."

Which we knew for a fact as an absolute lie. Maite told the class thrice but they didn't have enough in them to LISTEN.

I took back a ranting and raving Maite to Connon Hall, up to the Malate office.

Iji had answered half of her assigned questions.

Throughout the morning, Maite couldn't function. She ranted and ranted, apologizing to us about not working.

"Ano ka ba," said Iji. "Okay lang." (What are you talking about? It's okay.)

"Yeah," I echoed. "Let it all out. Let us do the work. You've been doing it for us the whole term."

She smiled at us.

We continued to work and took a lunch break with JM, a Malate member. We went to Jollibee. When we went back, Maite's mood was considerably lighter, and she was with us once again.

We finished at around 7. By that time Miss Nikki had given us our score: Perfect.

That night, Maite texted me saying that John had called her and said that a lot of our blockmates hated us for hitting the road. Before that, we had already talked to the Boys and told them of our reasons. Told them that we were in Malate the whole time and if they had needed any help all they had to do was text us. Which they didn't need, as they had gotten a 37/40.

I called her then, and she told me we had to meet the next morning and talk about the happenings. I told her that we were, in essence, faultless, as 1.) our assigned topic wasn't there so they don't really expect us to give them any answers, legally anyway, 2.) we were completely accesible but they didn't call so we didn't move, and 3.) they got a high score just the same. We could probably take it to any court of law.

Still, she said. I agreed.

The next morning, I met with the dulcets in the Malate office and we talked. Maite said she had related the incident to her parents and they sided with her-- us.

"That must account for something," Maite said.

"We didn't do anything wrong," I said. "It's their minds construing it. I frankly don't care what they say. I can take them to any court in the Philippines and I know I'll still win. We'll still win."

We agreed to this proposition. At the Logic exam, nobody seemed to display disdain of any sort to us. Even Paolo, who was rumored to be really fired up by us, was still talking to me.

We asked around. Everyone said that they understood us for leaving, that it was okay. It was over. We weren't blacklisted, extricated. We were still fine with the block, and the block was fine with us.

We already know that we three are quite possibly the most opposing of the block. We are quite probably the most radical thinkers and reactors. We were the outcasts, we knew it, we wore it.

Anyway, the purpose of this entry is to relate our true reasons, and our true mindsets, seeing as to how "Angel" has construed it to her realities and applied false logic without knowing what the truth was.

First of all, we do not brag that we are geniuses. We do not brag that we are smartest in the class. We do not shove it to your faces. Maite told us not to brag about our 4.0 to anyone when we got it. We were fine with that. What "Angel" construes as bragging may be the fact that I said we got a 4 without help from anyone. This is just an expression of my joy, and pride that we did it all by ourselves. It is NOT gloating. But then again, if she thinks so, then I let her be. I stand by my reasons.

Here I quote her entry: "But anyway, there's this just one teensy-weensy problem. Three of the smarter ones in my class, namely Kari, Donna and Teresa (but call themselves Ekai, Iji and Maite - eww, how CORNY!), decided to just up and go from our class, leaving us without a lot to do edgewise."

One of all, I don't think the class had problems, seeing as they got a 3.5 through their 37/40 exam. I do think this is sourgraping in extreme proportion. I think the block is not helpless. I think they can fend for themselves whether my dulcets are there or not. I think they have enough knowledge between them (and a TON of handouts to boot, plus Miss Nikki) to ace the exam.

Quoting again: "I checked out Ekai's blog recently, just to get both sides of the story. Actually, as I am typing this up I have her blog open in a separate window, looking back at it now and then for reference. And MY GOD, that little bitch is SO going to get it from me someday!!!!!"

Darling dear, I should LOVE to see you try. It should be a point of high amusement to me and my darling dulcets. If you are such a coward as to hide under a pseudonym then I should like to see you try and get even with me-- to my face. Thank you. Now, while you hide under a false name and within the shadows of the internet then you have absolutely no right to talk.

Quoting again: "What pisses me off is that they have to act so high-and-mighty about it. Yes, you're brilliant, yes, you're geniuses, yes, you got your quatros all by yourselves, but please, DO NOT BRAG ABOUT IT. You're going to get your come-uppances someday...maybe not today, but someday...and when that happens, I'M going to be the one thumbing MY NOSE at YOU!!! And you have the gall to call yourselves "demigoddesses." DEMIGODESSES MY BUTT!!!"

I think I've already said this, but I'll say it again in any case: we were not bragging. Define bragging, as Maite would say. We will contest your every word. Should we get our "come-uppances" as you say, you may gloat to us about it. For now, try to contain your anger. We demigoddesses don't like to muddle in business of this sort.

(WELL! Or you may be just jealous because we are demigoddesses and you are not? *theatrical gasp*) ^-^

Quoting again: "However, what they did goes totally against that. It's more of an American way of thinking: "I'll get to the top without you (or at least with a few of my trusted friends), and I'll laugh it out when I'm there cause all of you idiots are still stuck at the bottom trying to help everyone else up." Yes, it ensures success, yes, it provides fulfillment, BUT at the expense of others. Nobody likes being stepped on. Nobody likes seeing someone succeed at his/her own expense. So what happens? You've got everything you ever wanted: money, fame, success...but you don't have friends or even family."

Oh, my heart does melt. Don't it make your heart melt, guys? One of all, we were accessible. Totally so. It's not like we went up a tower. If you had wanted us, you'd probably find us. We were going to go back after brunch but seeing as Maite was infuriated we decided not to. Besides, weren't you all fine on your own? Or, "Angel" darling, maybe YOU were the only one not fine? Seems you are.

We never stepped on anyone and laughed at the top of our lungs. Did you for a fact hear us say: "Hey, Blockmates! We got a 4.0! And what did YOU get?"? And we knew in our hearts that you could do it by yourselves and you didn't need us. You, after all, passed La Salle. That accounts for something, shouldn't it? Or maybe you, darling dear, don't believe in yourself enough to think that you could be independent? What, are we your keepers now? Can you not exist without us? Oh, darling, do give me a call. Poor helpless thing.

We have each other. And to us that is all that matters. To me all that matters is having Iji and Maite by my side. I trust in them and believe in them as I have never believed in anyone before.

Last quote: "I'm SO going to get you someday, you little bitches."

Do go ahead, darling dear. We'll be waiting when you finally ditch the shell you're hiding under and face us in a duel. We'll be living our happy lives while you burn under your hate-- why do you hate us so?-- while your hate consumes you. We will watch. We will stay together. We are demigoddesses. Go ahead and plan your plans. Go ahead and make like a knight slaying us dragons. If you feel you truly are so noble, truly so kind, then, darling dear, HIT ME. I would LOVE to see you do it.

We know we were right. I stand by my reasons. We know we were right. It is up to you to construe it all you like, and if I sound like a selfish b*tch in my replies to you, I apologize. Maite and Iji have refused to defend themselves against such low blows. Maybe I shouldn't have, too, but I love a good debate.

When you come out of hiding and show your face to us, that is when you may truly challenge us.

For now we are faultless.

And invincible.














1:29 AM
will you catch me when I fall? :: |




this girl
named Ekai Ungson
find here
or here
or here
or here


listen to the static
"Wonder" - Megan McCauley
"Everyone is Wrong" - The Donnas
"You and Me" - Lifehouse
"Blind" - Lifehouse
"Lonely No More" - Rob Thomas
"Akap" - Imago
"The Difference" - Matchbox Twenty
"Extraordinary" - Liz Phair


Tagboard

angel wings
George
Joy
Candy
Nikki
Lance
Bryan
Alec
Kramer
Elbert
Sean
Randy
Mike
Sacha
Clair
Charo
M. Connie
Marlon
Ka Edong
Ava
Ken
LWS

adoring
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iBlog


Who Links Here

credit is where credit's due
Knocking
Minitokyo
Blogskins

Blogger



Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com